Deutsche Buchgemeinschaft (DBG) is a German publishing and media company that began as a book club for the purpose of distributing books to its members, founded in 1924 in Berlin. Rebuilt after World War II, first in Hamburg, then in Darmstadt (headquarter since 1951).
Book clubs flourished throughout German speaking countries until they began declining in the late 1970s and early 1980s. In 1970, Bertelsmann obtained a 50% stake in Deutsche Buchgemeinschaft and the company was reformed to Deutsche Buch-Gemeinschaft C. A. Koch's Verlag Nachf. (KG). The registration of Deutsche Buchgemeinschaft was erased in January 1977.
Bertelsmann took complete ownership in 1988, reformed the company to Deutsche Buchgemeinschaft C. A. Koch's Verlag Nachf. GmbH, moved it to their own headquarter in Gütersloh and closed the remaining facility in Darmstadt in October 1989. The Austrian branch, Deutsche Buch-Gemeinschaft, Wien was merged to Buchgemeinschaft Donauland Kremayr & Scheriau, Wien.
After the German reunification in 1990, Bertelsmann revived the label Deutsche Buch-Gemeinschaft for a branch in Dresden, Saxony, to expand to the former East-Germany.