McGraw-Hill Publishing Company traces its history back to 1888 when James H. McGraw purchased the American Journal of Railway Appliances. John A. Hill had founded The Hill Publishing Company in 1902. In 1909, the two companies formed an alliance and became The McGraw-Hill Book Company. In 1917, the name was changed to McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, Inc. In 1995 the company name was rebranded as The McGraw-Hill Companies.