I picked up a Kenji Mizoguchi box set of eight films. The set came with a 344-page book with critical essays, reprints of stories used as film sources, etc. I added it here, because I felt that the material went well beyond a typical DVD booklet.
https://www.biblio.gs/book/109249-Late-Mizoguchi-Eight-Films-1951-1956

Which raises the question: At what point do printed supplements become worthy of inclusion here? Should it be based on page count? Or should other criteria play a role?

Other releases with extensive printed supplemnts:
Criterion's Red River (PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O’Brien and a 1991 interview with Hawks’s longtime editor Christian Nyby...; a new paperback edition of Chase’s original novel, previously out of print...)
Criterion's Vampyr (PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by Mark Le Fanu and Kim Newman, a piece by Koerber on the restoration, and a 1964 interview with producer and star Nicolas de Gunzburg; plus a book featuring Dreyer and Christen Jul’s original screenplay and Sheridan Le Fanu 1872 story “Carmilla,” a source for the film (first-edition DVD only))

Which raises the question: At what point do printed supplements become worthy of inclusion here? Should it be based on page count? Or should other criteria play a role?

That's a good question. I don't think it should be based on page count. I have for example an edition of Sleeping Beauty that comes with a 32-page storybook, there are a lot of (IMO) non-eligible booklets that exceed that.

Maybe something that is clearly a supplement, and not an essential part of the release? Or something that would make some sense without the film release? In Red River's case the booklet would be non-eligible, but the novel would be eligible.

I've submitted some video game art books which have been included in the collector's edition, but I wouldn't submit the game guides unless they've been published separately.

Criterion's booklets always include essays, and are heavier than your usual booklet. But they also usually include credits for the release, chapters, and other information about the release, so it's tied to the DVD/Blu-ray, and I wouldn't submit that.

The Mizoguchi book that came with the box set contains about 2 pages of material specific to the blu-ray. The remaining credits pages are specific to the films, not to the release. The sheer mass of translated source texts and reprinted critical essays seemed to be worth documenting here. There doesn't seem to be a good way to do it at Filmogs.

The Mizoguchi book that came with the box set contains about 2 pages of material specific to the blu-ray. The remaining credits pages are specific to the films, not to the release. The sheer mass of translated source texts and reprinted critical essays seemed to be worth documenting here.

Personally I probably wouldn't have entered it, but I understand why you did. Though using that same logic basically every Criterion booklet could be submitted to Bibliogs, and that's hardly what we want. I don't know where to draw the line though...

There doesn't seem to be a good way to do it at Filmogs.

That's true. The fact that you can't add release-specific credits in Filmogs has been brought up by me and Adambassador (at least):
https://www.filmo.gs/forum/1481-Release-specific-credits
https://www.filmo.gs/forum/20891-What-to-do-with-non-film-credits

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.