I just noticed that e-books are starting to be submitted
http://www.biblio.gs/book/18518-Installing-and-Configuring-Windows-Server-2012-Exam-Ref-70-410

I really believe that just like with Discogs, a source for the download and/or purchase must be submitted in the sub history so that it can be held to scrutiny.

Thanks.

Agree.
I'd like some kind of rules about e-books. Documents we can and we can't submit in the db, I mean, books from 'official' sites, formats,

"Agree.
I'd like some kind of rules about e-books. Documents we can and we can't submit in the db, I mean, books from 'official' sites, formats,"

What is an e-book?

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/e-book
noun: "a book that is read on a computer or other electronic device"
Full definition:
"a book composed in or converted to digital format for display on a computer screen or handheld device"

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/e-book?s=t
noun: "a book in digital form."

http://www.britannica.com/technology/e-book
"E-book, in full electronic book, digital file containing a body of text and images suitable for distributing electronically and displaying on-screen in a manner similar to a printed book. E-books can be created by converting a printer’s source files to formats optimized for easy downloading and on-screen reading, or they can be drawn from a database or a set of text files that were not created solely for print."

Well, there you have it. An e-book is an electronic book.

Based on all the digital material available, we must have criteria. We must have a way of saying that a digital copy of The Hobbit is eligible for the database and a college research paper available to the public in .pdf form is not eligible.

Is it as simple as saying, if it would be considered a book in the printed world, then it is eligible? How about magazines? Magazines are available digitally.

Some initial rules I'm proposing:

1. The number one priority here is that it has to be downloadable. The copy that one obtains must be free of lease, rent or loan.
  2. The source of the download, whether it be purchased or free, must be shared with the community, otherwise it will be called into question.
  3. If the author or publisher calls it a book, then it should be a book.
  4. e-magazines can be submitted but will be held to the same scrutiny.
  5. Papers (i.e. research papers, newspapers, articles, blog posts) are not eligible.

good to get this into place, one problem I can see with number 1 is that even though many people think they own a book the fine print says it is just leased.
For example from the current kindle T&Cs "Kindle Content is licensed, not sold, to you by the Content Provider"
This immediately means that no ebooks from Amazon are eligible for the database.

I owned a Kindle for some years but don't currently. Can't the Kindle be hooked up to a computer and the files be transferred between the two?

I am not sure about that, but I don't think it is possible. Regardless though, even if you could the way you have worded the first one makes the books ineligible because they are only licensed not sold to end users.

I've found a list of sitles where you can download free books legally. Public domain and open licenses almost all. Also sites with rookie authors.
Sorry but explanations in Spanish: http://www.todoereaders.com/lista-de-sitios-para-descargar-ebooks-gratis-de-forma-legal.html

I've been considering recently submitting e-books to this database. I own a Kindle again and have been purchasing. I only have two hesitations.

1. How do we handle revisions? At times, a Kindle author will revise their book and submit it to Amazon. Amazon then sends the updated copy to us, the users. Is it now a new submission?

2. How to handle images? I'd like to get a good quality image of the e-book cover but not sure how to yet.

Great minds think alike tsivihcra, as we have arrived at this year old thread within hours.

I am in the process of adding an eBook just for the halibut. The first thing I noticed is that eBooks have an eISBN, which according to some articles on the internet is a contentious issue: http://www.authorimprints.com/myth-eisbn-every-ebook-edition-needs-unique-number/ and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Book_Number

Should the eISBN be included for Bibliogs submissions or should it be ignored? If the former, then a drop down menu option really needs to be added to the 'Identifying Codes' section.

As a public library consumer, am I allowed to submit an eBook on Bibliogs based on my borrowed item? If so, then as the source I would state that my submission is taken from a borrowed download using Adobe Digital Editions 4.5. Let's face it, even if you fork out money for an eBook you don't actually own it.

tsivihcra my thoughts on your first question, are that revisions should be treated as a unique submission. This is certainly the way successive eBooks are treated on Goodreads.

Regarding images, I find most book cover images can be found on Google images. Obviously they need to be exactly the same as the image shown in the eBook. If there isn't an image, then it becomes awkward as eBooks won't allow you to copy details (unless of course you bypass this by taking a screenshot).

P.S. I don't like eBooks.

Just for the record, this is my eBook submission: https://www.biblio.gs/book/202579-Heroin-Annie

1. How do we handle revisions? At times, a Kindle author will revise their book and submit it to Amazon. Amazon then sends the updated copy to us, the users. Is it now a new submission?

I'm not sure. I think we could try the unique submission idea, and if it seems like to too much, we can always merge.

Also there are times when the eBook is updated. For example iTunes books include a version number. I'm not exactly sure what they update though as I only have the total of two eBooks purchased from iTunes.

1. How to handle images? I'd like to get a good quality image of the e-book cover but not sure how to yet.

I've just taken a screenshot of the cover.

Let's face it, even if you fork out money for an eBook you don't actually own it.

You do if it's DRM-free. :-)

After reading mirva's reply I see that I misunderstood the revision question, which is indicative of my lack of familiarity with eBooks.

What sort of revisions are made to eBooks and would this process substantially alter the content? For example, I can understand the revision of non-fiction books to keep them up to date, but please don't tell me that authors of fiction are meddling with completed works.

Thanks mirva for keeping me abreast of new developments. My knowledge of eBooks dates from a time when I read an article detailing how the next of kin of a deceased person who owned a Kindle full of eBooks would not inherit the content, because legally they belong to Amazon, or whoever. I will need to get out more.

...please don't tell me that authors of fiction are meddling with completed works.

They are. Because e-books are often self-published, and self-edited by the author, friends, and family, they are often rife with mistakes. So, when people purchase the book and locate errors, they contact the author (or write reviews online), and the authors sometimes compile these errors and then go back and fix them and release a new edition to those who have already purchased. They do this through the Amazon sales channel. Also, the page where people bought the book now has the new edition only, but all other identifiers stay the same.

Thanks mirva for keeping me abreast of new developments.

Heh, I actually know very little of eBooks. I think I've said everything I know... I have a lot to learn. I read them occasionally for various random reasons (traveling, unknown author, cheap price, etc.), but still prefer printed books. :-)

Thanks tsivihcra, I can tolerate correcting typographical errors, but I would draw the line if a storyline is being modified just because a capricious author was aiming for 'perfection'.

Also, I notice that previous comments are being quoted and I am not sure how this is being achieved. What's the secret please?

Also, I notice that previous comments are being quoted and I am not sure how this is being achieved. What's the secret please?

Highlight the text you want to quote, copy it, and then enter a > at the beginning and paste it in.

Highlight the text you want to quote, copy it, and then enter a > at the beginning and paste it in.

Thanks.

What about the different file formats: PDF, ePUB, HTML, LIT, LRF, mobi, PDB, TCR, TXT, HTML, etc?
How to enter them?
Is in necessary a new format? File, holding all the compression types?

BTW here maybe the first e-book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%81ngela_Ruiz_Robles

What about the different file formats: PDF, ePUB, HTML, LIT, LRF, mobi, PDB, TCR, TXT, HTML, etc? How to enter them?

For now, it should definitely go into notes.

BTW here maybe the first e-book

Gees, eBooks have been around longer than I have. I second tsivihcra's comments about file formats going into Notes.

@tsivihcra please could you provide feedback about your experience with Kindle. Worth buy it? I'm thinking a second hand http://www.ebay.es/itm/272705007323?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've been thinking about whether we should make a new submission for each revision, and after seeing how many times an ebook can get updated, I'm starting to think we should just ignore the revisions.

So I'm thinking that maybe ebooks should just have one entry per edition, especially if they can't be sold. This way users could still have them in their collection but they wouldn't clutter the database. What do others think?

If a revision is enough that the publisher effectively publishes 'a new revised edition', with significant alterations, then it should be a new sub, I reckon.
If it were a print edition it might have a note on it saying "expanded with new photos" or "updated with new this, that or the other". Maybe if it's given a new 'cover'. That sort of thing.

If it's just a utility update to fix typos, grammar errors, add missing acknowledgements and so on, probably not really in need of a separate entry. A print edition equivalent might warrant a new sub because you'd have to go out and re-buy a copy to get the 'update' (ie, new impression), but if the updates come as part of the same purchase it's not really enough to justify it as a new ebook. You might not even notice it happening.

As with anything there'll always be oddities and edge cases that require ad hoc judgement calls, but on the whole this way seems reasonable to me.

As with any of the entries here, if you can't tell your copy apart from the bookogs entry it's effectively the same edition. That's one reason why it's important to get as much info in.

With regards to proof of being a geniune ebook... I have a lot of official ebooks, some going back for around 15 years (old .lit format) where no hope exists of them being verified. I've been avoiding submitting ebooks because of the faff involved in justifying them, producing images for them and finding how to input the data, etc. Some of them I'd be hard pressed to find! Burned to CDR and shoved in a drawer during transitions from one e-reader to another or one PC to another... to another... and another... I don't use a Kindle and I don't like the new 'distributor cloud' systems/models so I de-DRM all of my ebooks and transfer via USB.

I have recently entered the world of eBooks after years of resistance and I'm actually enjoying reading large books on my feather weight eReader.

I have recently submitted some eBooks and I have noticed that the listed page count appears to be dependent on the file type. For example, Goodreads submissions of my eBooks have page counts that are totally different to what is shown on my eReader.

Should I be listing the file extension of these eBooks (which have been Adobe Digital Editions ascm files) in the Notes so that the listed page count has some relevance? Or should I forget the listed page count altogether?

There was another discussion where it was agreed on that page count should not be listed on e-books because the page count can vary.
https://books.discogs.com/forum/391029-ebook-listed-page-count

Thanks. I had forgotten that one completely.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.