Hello

What is the stance on e-books?

Might as well get this question out of the way now.

Pros -
E-Books are classed as publications and are quickly becomming a common way for people to read books
E-Books are sold through reliable channels

Cons -
E-Books can be easily bootlegged or altered from the original
E-Books can sometimes feature DRM which can prevent them from being stored for an extended period of time on the device (i.e. Overdrive)

And they come in all varieties. Many authors simply release PDFs right on their website.

personally id prefer if they werent allowed. i also dont know much about them.

imho it would be best if this site was for strictly printed material...

at the very least it would be cool if the site was allowed to grow and figure itself out before they are allowed.

but yeh i also dont use discogs for mp3...

slightly off topic but i also dont think audio books should be here. they are already listed in the format drop down and i dont see why when discogs exists... should just be a link in the authors discogs profile to their bibliogs profile.. but yeh, off topic... kinda..

I'm in full agreement. We should not be cataloging ebooks or audiobooks at this time.

While I'm not sure if a lot of people collect ebooks, not all books get a physical release anymore. So we're possibly excluding valid content if we leave them out.

To be honest, I don't see the harm.

I agree about the e books, they should wait until we figure this out more if we do want to add them. However, I feel audio books are better here than Discogs

@mirva... what about reaaaaaaaalllllllly tldr websites? i mean, just cause its written... there def some discogs forum threads with more written content and valuable info than plenty of books.. i guess if the ebook is being bought & sold but whatever the soundcloud download equivalent is in ebook form is a scary prospect lol

i dunno, i think maybe the term book isnt whats important, as we are also cataloging magazines & journals, i think perhaps the clutch thing is paper thats been printed on & bound in some way shape or form..

but yeh, i also just ignore mp3 on discogs and would do ebooks the same here...

btw, not knocking ebooks or mp3.. ive tried the ebook thing it doesnt work for me.. mind goes blank.. need something tangible if reading more than a really long article... & have no beef with mp3 just dont catalog my collection..

honestly, i might not feel anyway about ebooks here whatsoever once things are up and running.. right now the thought of ebooks in that plain text list of every title subbed makes me go meh

@mirva... what about reaaaaaaaalllllllly tldr websites? i mean, just cause its written... there def some discogs forum threads with more written content and valuable info than plenty of books.. i guess if the ebook is being bought & sold but whatever the soundcloud download equivalent is in ebook form is a scary prospect lol

I think first, like audio files, it needs to be something you can download, and clearly a published piece of work - if you know what I mean. So no saving websites and submitting them. Second, we can restrict the formats/file types.

Ebooks are not really my thing either, I've tried. But I think it's the same as with audio files - they are still a valid publishing format, and as some content is digital only nowadays, it would be bad for the completeness of the database to exclude ebooks. But that's just my opinion. :-)

And please note that above, I said "at this time". I don't think we should hold off forever, just for now.

Regarding what mirva said, yes, they should be downloadable and either sold or given away.

What formats are out there?

Wow, there are a lot of file types out there for sure, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats

def all just a matter of opinion until we get a clear staement from management as to what the intended scope of this website is... the mission statement is laudable, but im not sure how far its been thought out... lol if folks thought the acceptable formats and or the nazi/obscene materials debates on discogs were intense we aint seen nothin yet :D

Hehe I knew this would get quite the response. But I'm glad for it.

Ok that is fair enough - no eBooks for now.

RE: Audiobooks, yeah I was surprised to see them being added here as they are already being cataloged on Discogs.....

RE: Audiobooks, yeah I was surprised to see them being added here as they are already being cataloged on Discogs.....

They kinda belong to both. But there's also some overlapping with Filmogs and Discogs, and IIRC, nik said it's fine.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.