Had a discussion with Sexton about the possible confusion of book entries where they are later made into a film.

For example, currently we have the 'works' for A Clockwork Orange, as well as the 'Subject':
https://www.bookogs.com/work/399755-a-clockwork-orange
https://www.bookogs.com/credit/263218-a-clockwork-orange

The two magazines that I added, under 'Subject', are primarily about the film. So would we need two subject entries, one for the film and the other about the book? Obviously there may some some publications that compare or discuss both.

I think we need two entries. We will also face a third because there is the soundtrack that maybe a subject in future contributions.
I would suggest doing it like Wikipedia with (film) at the end. This could also apply for (soundtrack) etc.

PS: it would be great if there will be a better implementation of Discogs and Filmogs credits in our form. This would safe a lot of time and avoid duplicate entries on different platforms

Maybe I'm thinking too simple, but wouldn't it be easier to have a text on the subject profile covering both? Like "A Clockwork Orange is a book by... blabla... and a movie directed... blabla... based on the novel".

Pros & cons (spontaneous)
Pros: in many cases, not only one medium is the subject if it comes to adaptions so there wouldn't be two subjects credited (novel/ movie, novel/ play, book/ radioplay, novelization of any kind...) and if another variation comes up (audiobook, graphic novel, whatever) it can be added to the profile easily.

Cons: in some cases, there are so many adaptions (Dracula: novel, play, a zillion movies, novelizations of the movies...), it will make the profile at least crowded if not inextricable and it can make it difficult to notice, which is the actual subject on a single book.

In the case of A Clockwork Orange I preferred BadMoon's suggestion of having them both under one heading, as to me they're both closely linked and many articles cover both. If need be ANV can be added to a particular magazine if say it only covers the book eg. 'A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess' (or Kubrick or Walter Carlos).

Also I thought we were trying to avoid adding subjects as in 'A Clockwork Orange (film)' and sticking to 'A Clockwork Orange (2)' format (as an example).

As for Dracula, good point! I'll need to think on that.

If need be ANV can be added to a particular magazine if say it only covers the book eg. 'A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess' (or Kubrick or Walter Carlos).

Or just enter multiple subjects: A Clockwork Orange and the relevant artists.

There are multiple solutions to this problem... There are probably a lot of articles about the book, the film, and/or both of them, so I have nothing against the book/film split. We could even keep a 'generic' entry too for publications that cover both of them. But as the entry is still quite small, I have nothing against in keeping things as they are - at least for the time being.

While I like having exact subjects, we also shouldn't fracture the subjects too much. Maybe in general, it would be good to start with one, more generic heading, and then, if it looks like the page is getting too big to be useful anymore, it could be split into more specific subjects.

Of course if we know beforehand that there are many publications covering particular subjects/sub-subjects, the split can be made immediately.

Also I thought we were trying to avoid adding subjects as in 'A Clockwork Orange (film)' and sticking to 'A Clockwork Orange (2)' format (as an example).

That is still under debate, I guess. The numbering system is ok, but not very useful at the moment. It would be easier if you could pick up the correct entry from the list without having to actually check every single page carrying the same title.

Of course using other, more obvious identifiers like "film" has its problems too, but they might be more useful at least when it comes to subjects. Though so far I think a colon has been used, not brackets, for example in the different horror film and WW subjects.

As I said the current About/Subject is ambiguous, because the attributions could specifically reference the film, or the book, or a combination of both.

If I was trying to track down only publications about the film for example, then I could be presented with a whole heap of publications about the book that I have no interest in. I just think it would be helpful to make the distinction using separate credits.

I agree with mirva's suggestion about titling the credits as A Clockwork Orange: Book and A Clockwork Orange: Film.

Thanks for bringing this to the Forum.

Maybe that should be A Clockwork Orange: Film - 1971, just in case there is a remake.

I would be happy with the "A Clockwork Orange: Film - 1971", though still not 100% that A Clockwork Orange currently needs it.

My main concern is 'subjects' getting out of control, in my mind some odd music ones have popped up (can't think of any off-hand). I just wanted to keep it simple and user friendly.

My main concern is 'subjects' getting out of control

We might have to invest in some capsicum spray and a taser to keep them in line.

There is a confusion, you know, they are not the same as entries but people won't distinguish which one is the film and the book. You have to highlight or write film, book. Good point is that there are not the same as design. I like both of them.

Byme wrote:

There is a confusion, you know, they are not the same as entries but people won't distinguish which one is the film and the book. You have to highlight or write film, book. Good point is that there are not the same as design. I like both of them.

Thanks for your input, I've changed it to A Clockwork Orange (film)

There has been a trend to add the suffix '(film)' to movie credits and I think that is an excellent idea. Similarly, users have been adding descriptive suffixes like '(album)' and '(TV series)' and I think these are equally useful.

Byme wrote:

There is a confusion, you know, they are not the same as entries but people won't distinguish which one is the film and the book. You have to highlight or write film, book. Good point is that there are not the same as design. I like both of them.The same problem you won't see on the most popular light novel website because there I can find just books. It will be awesome to watch movies on the novel that is upload here. This might be a good idea for those who love as much as me light novels and Japanese culture.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.