hey everyone, we just released our first iteration on dates for credits.

This is a way to list important dates for credits in a structured way. We also hope it will help distinguish between potential duplicates.

You can see an example here: https://www.bookogs.com/credit/71736-david-bowie
And how it looks in search results here: https://www.bookogs.com/search?q=david%20bowie%20&type=credit

Thoughts and feedback welcome as always. Let us know if you think event types are missing or any comments you might have

One thought: Historical countries will need to be added to the list of places, e.g. Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, USSR, Russian Empire, and so on.

seppuku wrote:

One thought: Historical countries will need to be added to the list of places, e.g. Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, USSR, Russian Empire, and so on.

Right. Actually that field is a free text one. The country suggestions are provided for timesaving and standardisation.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to break it down further. Maybe into city / country? I know this has come up for the Location of Publication on the book submission form too.

kalli wrote:

Actually that field is a free text one. The country suggestions are provided for timesaving and standardisation.

Ah, thanks, I've just noticed that we can create placenames.

kalli wrote:

You can see an example here: https://www.bookogs.com/credit/71736-david-bowie

Dates display as YYYY-MM-DD when the year is earlier than 1900, e.g.

https://www.bookogs.com/credit/21252-c-s-lewis

Born: 1898-11-29 (Belfast, Ireland)
Died: November 22, 1963 (Oxford, England)

Also, it doesn't appear possible to enter dates BC, or circa dates.

seppuku wrote:

Ah, good catch, we will look into that thanks.

Yes, this we don't have support for. But might consider it. Not sure what the best way to enter circa dates would be though.

I realy like this feature, but in case there are many events, the resulting page looks a bit confusing.
The first line of the notes is not shown as prominent as they should be.

Look here

The most important information, that this is a typesetter, has the same font size as the events.

I think there should be an easy solution, like using the font size for the eventnotes for all the event text

I agree with GruenerTee - the short description of what the company is should be the most prominent, not the various events. I would actually prefer if the events were at the end of the profile, not at the beginning.

Another thing is the "Place" field. Users don't seem to realize that it's actually a free text field, and enter the exact location to the "Notes" field.

Another case

Here, the field gets extensive from the born/died dates alone, as i tried to most correctly transfere the informations from the entry.
By the way, O.S. is Old Style date, a calendar change in several countries. In Russia, new style came in use 1918. Think i learned something, though :)

seppuku wrote:

kalli wrote:

Ah, good catch, we will look into that thanks.

^^^Still works this way.

Also would be happy if the country would be displaying in the future as a working link to collect/filter places/countries. But i am scared because the wrong entries. Anyway i was added "Austria-Hungary" as a "new" historical country. Thanks

How about a field for awards and dates of awards won? For example, Nebula award, 1974. Allows for a search on award winners.

You can do this through the free text field

like here

its not browsable at the moment, though

Did not know that. Thanks!

Another report from my journey thru the "event" feature:

I think it makes sense to make music-related terms like "Formed" "Reunited","Disbanded" appear on the dropdown list. Bookogs will grow a lot thru publications about music.

It must not necessarily be those terms but i also think, it would be good to have a standard here as early as possible.

An explanation on the wiki would also be great, its not that easy for a non-native English speaker to see the difference between "founded" and "started" for example

I have an idea for another credit.

It would be a "short description" field on the Edit page. It could be about 40 charcters or so.

This would work much like the dates being shown on a credit when searching, and could be in addition to the dates.

I made some mockup pages (images) showing how a feature may work.

^^ That looks nice. Maybe then we could get rid of the identifying numbers on credits.

sharpmath wrote:

I have an idea for another credit.

It would be a "short description" field on the Edit page. It could be about 40 charcters or so.

This would work much like the dates being shown on a credit when searching, and could be in addition to the dates.

Thanks for doing this, very descriptive with your mockups. Do you think another field would be needed though, or could it just use the first x characters (or sentence) from the profile.

I would prefer a dedicated field. It guarantees that a useful, short description of the entity would be the information that is displayed instead of something like "John Jonathan Christopher McDoe, also known as John Doe, was a..." or "Please do not confuse with John Doe (2)".

Otherwise we need to enforce a rule that the first sentence should be a concise description of the entity, and/or include enough characters so that the important bit gets displayed even if something else was entered first.

kalli wrote:

sharpmath wrote:

Thanks for doing this, very descriptive with your mockups. Do you think another field would be needed though, or could it just use the first x characters (or sentence) from the profile.

I agree with auboisdormant as I also think a dedicated field would be much better.

If the data was pulled from the current profile description, much of the information would be only the name repeated.

This could be remedied by editing the profile so the first sentence is short, but it isn't a sure thing. Some users wouldn't follow the rule of a short first sentence.

But, a short description field would ensure that it would be short and force the submitter to a certain number of characters. Therefore in the process, making it a more concise description.

I also think the short description doesn't have to be a mandatory field and it doesn't have to be shown on the main page profile page.

As a contributor to Wikipedia, and for reference, they have a short description that is not shown on the main page.

Happy weekend!

Good to know, thanks for the feedback sharpmath and auboisdormant.

The system is a bit confusing with "reunited" Earth f.e. is listed in search only by the date of disbanding

Also wouldn't mind a real name field.

seppuku wrote:

This. Also, it should be possible to enter "Unknown" or "?" (or something) in cases where the date is simply not known.

How to enter years that are below thousand? 0010?

I have noticed when adding dates that have the format of yyyy-mm-dd occasionally the system will not allow the addition of a hyphen after yyyy. Sometimes I have been able to re-edit the Credit and add the month, but in the case of https://www.bookogs.com/work/689497-joseph-in-agypten I have tried multiple times to add the day without any luck.

Here is another with the same problem: https://www.bookogs.com/work/689495-joseph-der-ernahrer

To assist with replicating the bug, I add yyyy (1943) as the First Published date. The book was written over a period of years, so I add the commencement Written date of yyyy-mm-dd (1940-08-10) without any problems. Then I attempt to add the completion Written date of yyyy-mm-dd (1943-01-04). I can only add yyyy (1943) on the first edit. I can then re-edit the Work and add mm (01), but no more. Any attempts to re-edit the Work and add dd (04) are unsuccessful.

Similar problem but this time with a Credit: https://www.bookogs.com/credit/214707-louis-theroux

I tried to add his birth date in the format of yyyy-mm-dd (1970-05-20) and I could enter 1970 but then I couldn't add a hyphen. I just gave up on this task, so maybe you can replicate it.

thethrowback wrote:

I have noticed when adding dates that have the format of yyyy-mm-dd occasionally the system will not allow the addition of a hyphen after yyyy.

You shouldn't need to add a hyphen manually, the form converts e.g. the string 19700520 to 1970-05-20. Or at least it does for me. It may depend on the browser used.

Thanks for that. It must be that the system lets me get away with adding a hyphen most of the time and then occasionally gets narky. Less keystokes in future!

Would like some opinions on how to deal with Events in cases like this:
https://www.bookogs.com/credit/23531-isaac-asimov

Would like some opinions on how to deal with Events in cases like this:
https://www.bookogs.com/credit/23531-isaac-asimov

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.