Paul Marcoy (real name Laurent de Saint-Cricq, 22 October 1815-1888) was a French traveller and naturalist.

According to Worldcat.org: https://www.worldcat.org/title/journey-across-south-america-from-the-pacific-ocean-to-the-atlantic-ocean/oclc/940377310 they were originally published in two volumes: I. Souvenirs d'un mutilé. Récits de chasse dans le Nouveau Monde (Ilay, Arequipa, Lampa, Acopia, Cuzco, Echarati, Chulituqui, Tunkini, Paruitcha)
II. Scènes et paysages dans les Andes (Tumbuya, Sarayacu, Tierra Blanca, Nauta, Tabatinga, Santa María de Belén)

and they were also published as four half volumes:
Half vol. 1. Ilay, Arequipa, Lampa, Acopia, Cuzco
Half vol. 2. Echarati, Chulituqui, Tunkini, Paruitcha
Half vol. 3. Tumbuya, Surayacu, Tierra Blanca, Nauta
Half vol. 4. Nauta, Tabatinga, Santa María de Belén

C. is something I was only thinking about only last night. I have noticed translations of Works are being added as separate Works (in addition to the original Work) and logically that is correct. On that basis you would create a Work for the French and English titles.

More info: https://www.southamericatotheworld.com/marcoys-journey-across-south-america/

Your books are getting older and older. At this rate you will be submitting a first edition of the Dead Sea Scrolls!

I thought had the history of this book and then I came across https://books.google.com.au/books?id=yhgPlSmMXzsC&pg=PA40&lpg=PA40&dq=Souvenirs+d%27un+mutil%C3%A9.+R%C3%A9cits+de+chasse+dans+le+Nouveau+Monde&source=bl&ots=Sa5usPSfi6&sig=ACfU3U0nxeMtAnZvzdZzW8_AhVdcwugLgg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiNspSvppPnAhXozzgGHX3rDm8Q6AEwCnoECAgQAQ#v=onepage&q=Souvenirs%20d'un%20mutil%C3%A9.%20R%C3%A9cits%20de%20chasse%20dans%20le%20Nouveau%20Monde&f=false

which has the publication order as Scènes et paysages dans les Andes (1862) and Souvenirs d'un mutilé. Récits de chasse dans le Nouveau Monde (1862). Then there is Voyage à travers l'Amérique du Sud, de l'Océan Pacifique à l'Océan Atlantique (1869) which is the exact title of the English translation that you submitted.

It is possible this book is the original language title. I'm confused, maybe someone knows the history.

That should have read:

'which has the publication order as Scènes et paysages dans les Andes (1861) and Souvenirs d'un mutilé. Récits de chasse dans le Nouveau Monde (1862)'

I noticed that Worldcat.org page states: "Originally pub. serially in Le tour du monde, t. 6-16, 1862-67. Reissued in 2 v., Paris, 1869 under title: Voyage à travers l'Amérique du Sud"

I am not sure that it was first published in Le tour du monde, but I think the original language title for your English edition is Voyage à travers l'Amérique du Sud, de l'Océan Pacifique à l'Océan Atlantique.

Sorry for the mistakes as I am rushing to do something else at present.

I have noticed translations of Works are being added as separate Works (in addition to the original Work) and logically that is correct. On that basis you would create a Work for the French and English titles.

The Work guidelines seem to suggest the opposite?

The Work should be entered under the original title in the original language in which it was published (e.g. when entering a book which is a translation of a work, the Work page should still be created under original title).

The purpose of the Work page is to group together all individual physical published editions of the work, including translations and transliterations, or in the case of smaller works, like poems and short stories, all collections and editions where these works can be found.

Originally pub. serially in Le tour du monde, t. 6-16, 1862-67.

FWIW, if it started in 1862, the earliest appearance is in the "deuxième semestre" issue.

Here is an image of the title given there: https://imgur.com/3XzJc5Y

The Work guidelines seem to suggest the opposite

I had forgotten that. I will have to mention that Guideline to a particular user who has been creating Works for translations. It is good to know because in a way it seemed like doubling up to me.

My French skills are almost non-existent, and I can't work out if Scènes et paysages dans les Andes (1861) and Souvenirs d'un mutilé. Récits de chasse dans le Nouveau Monde (1862) are related to the Le tour du monde serial. I have added that image to the Work.

Thanks for all your help, I promise that me going to bed and leaving you to it was no coincidence.

I have a long memory!

I can't work out if Scènes et paysages dans les Andes (1861) and Souvenirs d'un mutilé. Récits de chasse dans le Nouveau Monde (1862) are related to the Le tour du monde serial.

Looking at the content pages and first pages of the collected editions, they seem like different works. Some of the content in Scènes et paysages is from other magazines.

But as all of them seem to be related to his travels, so who knows, there could be some overlapping content.

Thanks.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.