Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused by reading the guidelines because, as I was looking for a rule on title capitalization for French submissions, I came across two different things:
- Work Guidelines saying that "book titles in English, Bookogs recommends using Title Case", "non-English book titles, please follow conventions of the language of the book you're entering." So far that's alright.
- Book Guidelines saying that oàne should enter "the title exactly as it appears on the book in Title Case." without any references to foreign books.

What I find misleading is the fact that there seems to be a difference between books and works. Is that right?

As far as French title convention goes, only the first word (and the second if the first is an article) and proper nouns should be capitalized. Should I stick to this (for both work and title?) or is there something I missed?

Thank you!

Good question, with the few French titles I've added I've tended to stick to the "the title exactly as it appears on the book". I certainly don't understand what the conventions of the French language are.

The Guidelines state: https://books.discogs.com/guidelines/general#capitalization-grammar "For non-English book titles, please follow conventions of the language of the book you're entering. If uncertain, enter it as closely to how it appears on the book."

I don't doubt that what you say is correct: "As far as French title convention goes, only the first word (and the second if the first is an article) and proper nouns should be capitalized."

The capitalization rules apply to both Book and Work titles.

If I have mistakenly changed a French title, then my apologies as I tend to use the capitalization format shown in the French Wikipedia pages which is not always correct. My French is basic and I can't parse a sentence in French.

Don't apologise, I just wondered if I had it wrong all along.

So to check if I got it right: both works and books follow the rule according to which if they are not originally written in English, then the convention in the concerned language should be followed.

(To help you in your further French submissions, only the first word is capitalised, or the first two should the first word be le / la / les / l' / un / une / des)

Hmmm. I've tried to follow the rules of the Academie (point 7) which are a bit more complicated.

I know these are not the only rules for French, so maybe it should be agreed on which rules to use.

the convention in the concerned language should be followed.

Correct.

I will leave Francophones to sort out the correct rules of French title capitalization (I have enough trouble with English).

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.