I have two questions about best practice for author names:

1. The guidelines tell me to enter the name of the author as it appears on the book. Often I see them entered with academic titles and everytime I remove them and add an info on the credit page about the title. But I wonder if an academic title would then be an ANV?

2. And what about situations, where two or more versions of the author name appear. Often the cover only uses the last name, the copyright page uses the full name with the acedemic title and in the preface only the full name is used. In such a case I use the name as it is written on the cover, because this is the easiest to find for collectors. What do you prefer?

i tend to use whatever is on the colophon, if that helps.

It seems to be an issue mostly related to German language books. For example: https://books.discogs.com/book/725504-handbuch-pferd-zucht-haltung-ausbildung-sport-medizin-recht

Professor Dr. Dr. med. vet. habil. is an impressive academic title. I didn't realise anyone could be a double Doctor.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem is the database is not forgiving if titles are entered differently, which can result in duplicates. Another problem is that over time academic titles can change.

Personally, I believe the academic titles should be omitted from the Credit and added as an NV to the book submission, but I'm certain there are differing opinions.

I think this was discussed somehwere before and we went with what Throwback is suggesting now, and that's how I have been dealing with titles before and after names.

Personally, I believe the academic titles should be omitted from the Credit and added as an NV to the book submission

I also do so and think it makes the most sense. Should be carved in stone somewhere :)

But I wonder if an academic title would then be an ANV?

It can be included in the ANV if the primary name doesn't have it.

When it comes to titles in general, I don't think it is a black and white issue. Even the staff at Discogs has said to keep the title if that's how the artist commonly is credited as:
https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/409715#3805582

This is my logic, both here and in Discogs:
https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/761485?page=1#7551589

And what about situations, where two or more versions of the author name appear.

I usually go with the one on the cover and/or title page. If they differ, I choose the one on the title page.

1. I do not think, that commonly credited applies to my cases. I see academic titles changing and mentioned sometimes and sometimes not. Maybe this was something special in East Germany mentioning ALL academic degrees on the title page. So for my cases I would continue with removing the title from the credit and use an ANV.

For a clever webpage backend, it should be possible if a credit will be changed in the future, all uses of the credit update automatically (add or remove NV).

1. So the name from the title page seems to be the common way and so I'll update my old submissions and continue that way.

Thanks so far.

I do not think, that commonly credited applies to my cases. I see academic titles changing and mentioned sometimes and sometimes not. Maybe this was something special in East Germany mentioning ALL academic degrees on the title page. So for my cases I would continue with removing the title from the credit and use an ANV.

Yeah, sounds like that's the best way to proceed in your cases then. :-)

I agree that if for example, Fred Bloggs is always credited as Dr Fred Bloggs, then that should be the Credit. We have had a similar discussion regarding the title of 'Sir', and if the person is mostly credited that way then that is the best option.

Keep up the good work Madir.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.