I think there was a discussion on this topic ages ago, but I can't locate it and I can't remember the outcome.

Larry Niven wrote a short story that first appeared in a German anthology as "Echt". The translated title is "The Real Thing", and that is how it has appeared in successive English language publications.

Should the Works title be "Echt" or "The Real Thing"?

According to guidelines:
"Enter the original title of the Work in its original language (and alphabet, if applicable)."
https://books.discogs.com/guidelines/work

As far as I can see, the "original language of the work" is the language the work was written in, not the language it was first published in.

So, if the work was originally written in English, then "The Real Thing" should be the title.

thethrowback wrote:

I think there was a discussion on this topic ages ago, but I can't locate it and I can't remember the outcome.

May have been on Stephen King's It / Es in one of the "Works"-threads. The Work was kept "It" and the first-printing-in-German-case is mentioned in the notes.

Thanks for both replies. I will make the necessary edits.

That could be the one BadMoon. There were a number of threads when Works were introduced and comments were popping up all over the place. I'm getting old and have trouble remembering yesterday, let alone two years ago. Although I do recall the conversation about "The Red Brick". I hope you are staying safe.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.