Everyone going through the database and trying to merge publisher or production companies knows that it is a pain. There are lots of different writings and often the history is not documented anywhere. So you know they belong together but you don't know how.

In addition there are all those imprints, publishing logos and publisher series.

I decided to start a wiki article during working on the database. The aim should be to have a list of the publishers with their series and imprints. At the moment I think it could be useful for suspected duplicates too.

I started with some german publishers and printing companies and I invite everyone to join me or to tell me it is useless :-)

https://books.discogs.com/wiki/overview-on-publishers-imprints-publisher-series-and-other-companies

All publishers and their related stuff lists would make one really huge page. I'm more used to seeing lists of such information on each company's own pages. And maybe a wiki page then which links to pages of companies that do have some history and extended data, but names every such company only once.

Excellent work. The German publisher and printing company database is complex to say the least and no doubt has a lot of duplicates. Thanks for taking the initiative.

Poganina wrote:

All publishers and their related stuff lists would make one really huge page. I'm more used to seeing lists of such information on each company's own pages. And maybe a wiki page then which links to pages of companies that do have some history and extended data, but names every such company only once.

I see the huge-page problem and I like your idea of putting the information on extra pages. A database could handle such information and credit-pages could offer a link to the "company complex" page automatically. However this would require a new database-table collecting all the "company complex" information and a field in the credits to connect a publisher series or imprint to such a system.

I think the wiki page could help to collect all information we have about company complexes now and let's see what might be possible to do with the data in the future.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.