"The Education of Little Tree" is a book by Forrest Carter. Initially it was sold as an autobiography but was later determined to be fiction. My copy still treats it like an autobiography. Which genres should be used for submission of the book and for the works?

Actually, same question for the "Teachings of Don Juan" series by Carlos Castaneda: Fiction or non-fiction.

The Education of Little Tree was shown to be a literary hoax, so I think fiction and historical fiction would be appropriate.

I thought long and hard about whether to categorize The Teachings of Don Juan as non-fiction or fiction. There is a lot of debate about this question, so I thought it less controversial to use non-fiction.

I will add that there are a lot of works that are fiction but have an autobiographical framework. Most of Jack Kerouac's oeuvre is a good example. I have always thought that it would be helpful to have the genre semi-autobiographical to cover these type of works.

I agree, fiction is better for The Education of Little Tree since it's a proven literary hoax.

Since the genre tags are not mandatory, we don't have to use either non-fiction or fiction for Teachings of Don Juan. It might be sufficient just to explain the situation in the notes. I think that way we would stay as unbiased as possible.

I will add that there are a lot of works that are fiction but have an autobiographical framework.

True. LC uses 'autobiographical fiction', for what it's worth.

we don't have to use either non-fiction or fiction for Teachings of Don Juan

Good idea. I have removed non-fiction as a genre. The Works for https://books.discogs.com/work/500691-the-teachings-of-don-juan-a-yaqui-way-of-knowledge details the controversy about the genre.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.