If we use a bracket for a description of a title, e.g. "xyz" (Essay, essay) or "xyz" (Collection, collection).

Do we use upper or lower case letters? I know it's not important, but when I found a correction of a user who used lower case letters, I instantly changed it to upper case letters, because for me this is not a sentence, but an addition of a tag or description field.
So I would prefer upper case letters. What do you think or feel is the correct way?

I would prefer all lower case letters. I used to start them with a capital letter, but switched to lower case for two reasons:

1) Starting with a capital letter makes the description look like it's part of the title, and looks confusing after titles that have a bracketed part

2) (Completely subjective but) starting with a capital letter looks a bit "funny" on languages that follow sentence case on titles:
e.g. Olipa kerran keskeneräinen kirjatietokanta (Short Story)

So, considering the above, I joined the "all lower case letters" camp. :-)

That said, I don't think this is a huge issue, especially if the descriptions end up being only temporary.

I also brought this up a couple of days ago in another thread, but didn't receive any opinions/replies.

The convention has always been to use standard capitalization since the introduction of Works in June 2018. How users treat suffixes on Credits could be a different matter.

I noticed that auboisdormant switched to lowercase about a month ago which I thought was a bit odd given that it had not been discussed.

On reflection, I agree it is a good idea so I have been changing the Works suffixes to lowercase. There might be a few still floating around.

I should add that the reason I think it is a good idea is solely based on auboisdormant's comment that it helps to differentiate the suffix as a format rather than part of the book title.

The notion that the Works suffix will become redundant is debatable.

OK, I can live with that, but since I'm totally discogs brainwashed (daily edits for nearly 10 years) I can't promise to be consequent with this issue ;-)

No worries, FWIW, I don't think it's such a huge issue. :-)

There has always been suffixes capitalized both ways, and luckily things can be updated easily if needed.

The notion that the Works suffix will become redundant is debatable.

Well, we did discuss at one point separating the forms (short story, novel, etc.) from the genres, and displaying them more prominently, alongside with the year of publication.

Well, we did discuss at one point separating the forms (short story, novel, etc.) from the genres, and displaying them more prominently, alongside with the year of publication.

That would require a staff fix.

If that development does occur then obviously the suffixes will be redundant. I just wouldn't hold my breath in the meantime.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.