Just saw the email saying Comicogs is closing at the end of the month.

This community closing a month later.

Dear Comicogs Community,

We will be shutting down Comicogs on July 31, 2020. This was not an easy decision, but we have not been able to give this project the attention and focus that it needs to prosper. At the same time, there are still many opportunities and things to improve on Discogs, so we will be putting all of our focus on Discogs.

Thank you for your contributions to and support for this project over the past six years. During that time we’ve had over 55,000 comics submitted and 5,000 registered users.

We will be preserving the data. Our monthly data exports are still available, so please download the latest if you would like to have your own copy of the data. We will also be storing the last export on archive.org, with images. If you would like a JSON-format export of your own contributions and your Collection and Wantlist, please fill out this export request form and we will send it to you once it is ready.

You may be wondering what is happening to the other “ogs” sites. We will also be closing Gearogs, Filmogs, Bookogs, and Posterogs, but those will be closed about one month later while we make sure we haven’t overlooked anything. VinylHub will remain open.

If you have any questions please contact us at comicogs@discogsinc.com.

Thanks again for your support.

Kevin Lewandowski & The Discogs Team

Well that's a kick in the nuts, a lot of people have put a lot of hours into this. I wonder if "not been able to give this project the attention and focus that it needs to prosper" means "we couldn't make any money off it".

Undoubtedly that is part of it... but it actually takes real effort and time to monetize a site like this, so it's a Catch 22 situation.

I wish I could say this was a surprise.

Considering that the downsizing started already last year, the pandemic and its effects on the world were probably the last nails in the coffin.

I guess I was right on $$$ side of thing, when I as arguing with other users on Filmogs that they were doing it for the money.

They are doing no effort to prosper from it, and now it's unprofitable saturation for them so they will throw it away.

All of this because they took no intiative to expand on it.

A complete embarrasment.

Really feel bad for those who were trying to do an archive their collection.

I can't believe it :(
Is there really no way to preserve Bookogs?

And if not, is there an alternative somewhere?

Yep, just saw the Comicogs email so feel awful for all the people over there who suported that site. Same for Bookogs, what an absolute waste of everyones hard work.

I don't care that much about Comicogs even if I contributed hundreds of comics there, I always felt that place was dead, closing it feels bad, but it's understandable.
Bookogs on the other hand has grown, it's much more advanced, like Discogs, hundreds of thousands of books and now this... I'm depressed, really.

Freeze the sites until further notice would be my suggestion.

They could have merged Comicogs into Bookogs to have one encompassing database, which many users recommended from the start, but what do I know.

Until now that we are in quarantine, I have been able to dedicate time to upload my books to this database. It is a pity that it will not continue. I don't have many books, but I like the idea of uploading books from my country that would otherwise be unknown, even by people from this country.

So far I have uploaded 603 books to the database, but I can only see 599 in My Collection. Can someone please explain what happens?

You forgot to add 4 of them to your collection? Happens to me all the time...

I am also fascinated in seeing the range of original, obscure books and publications from both English and non-English speaking countries: it was one on the most engaging aspects of this site.

An effort to do something similar elsewhere could be successful in my opinion - but nothing will succeed without commitment and a bit of money to pay the bills.

It's been a luxury to have this platform to play around with 'free-of-charge' and I thank the Discogs team for keeping it going for so long.

If anyone else doesn't want to give up on this as an idea, I be interested in discussing further.

Can the data be exported so that the effort can continue elsewhere? I suspected this might happen years ago, seeing how loath Discogs was to dedicate resources over here.

Well that's a shame. I felt that this model had real potential to be better than the other cataloguing systems out there and have personally devoted hundreds of hours to it. But I was always aware that there was a very good chance that it wouldn't be a success. I just don't think that the bibliophile and data gatherer communities overlap enough in the end.... not enough people care and its not making money any where for the people who own it.

Take care everyone, stay safe and keep reading!

Of course if there's a way to save this effort, I'm willing to listen/discuss. Definitely want a copy of the Bookogs data if that becomes available.

Ah, the montly dumps are actually here: http://data.discogslabs.com/?prefix=data/bookogs/2020/06/

I am sad sbout this. I put a couple years of my life into these sites, specifically Bookogs and Filmogs anow it will vanish. There is no database on the internet for proper archiving of these materials. sure I can put stuff in at archive.org but it's so disjointed over there.

They did not act like in a "community based" way, but in a completely authoratarian way.

Sorry community but this is getting to big for us to handle, we'll freeze it a while, etc.

There should be a warning sign put on the first page of this site to prevent users to do more work for the waste. Just embarassing.

I know it's a looooongshot, but maybe we can introduce subscription as a way to save the site?
Is it too late?
Bookogs has over 17k users, if only 10% of them were willing to pay few bucks a month to continue using the database, what does staff think?
Is it just my imagination?

I'm willing to pay to add new content aqnd still use the site, however it sounds.

What about hosting the database elsewhere?

nothinger wrote:

I know it's a looooongshot, but maybe we can introduce subscription as a way to save the site?
Is it too late?
Bookogs has over 17k users, if only 10% of them were willing to pay few bucks a month to continue using the database, what does staff think?
Is it just my imagination?

I'm willing to pay to add new content aqnd still use the site, however it sounds.

These people have to earn my trust again before I give them even a cent of my hard-earned money.
I probably have to stick to the domestic database pages in the future.

During the last months I always thought, that the site might be closed. As all of you I spent much time here (and on filmogs) and contributed for nothing.

And I don't see what would be the problem with at least leaving the site as it is for the moment or handing it over to the community. It is only some MBs of data and some traffic. I guess compared to discogs it is nothing. And we have people willing to work on the site.

But I think you guys are right, money is the key here.

They should sell the Database.

Of all other to-be-closed ogs projects, bookogs seems to me having a huge social humanistic value.
I would not call this unsuccessful project. More than 150.000 books, a lot of languages etc.
So much efforts put here. So many credits connections and revelations done here. So much research work done here for credits disambiguation. I personally get used to use this site as a reference for a lot of stuff. E.g. through history art editors became artists, technical editors became editors, editors became writers, maiden names etc. A lot of books variations found here. A lot of discoveries done and would be done. There seems no platform like this yet.
If this portal is indeed unbearable for the staff, at least leave it as read-only for some time.
There should be a way to keep it live.
Fundraising maybe. I would pay some to make it continue.
Get volunteer staff for maintaining the portal.
Another rather non-realistic option - the community might build a team to design a new portal using old data dumps, and probably keep the new code open source on github. As I see the data itself is CC0 license. And again fundraising for infrastructure stuff.

And again why they don't show warning. I see some people continue contributing.

I agree, I thought irritating but necessary ads (google) would get enough money for the database storage place, domain, etc and for minimal maintenance. I think our community has enough force to continue some way. Here are -as phasics wrote- a lot of references and connections and artist appearing, it is a very serious DB and it would be a very big mistake to throw away. We added many credits for persons of different professions around bibliography, they are appearing in a lot of books but they are totally unknown on the internet. There are too many reasons to save this DB and the serious community.

Personally I would spend money on this but I understood people who don't.

(We shouldn't forget, the other ogs sites have the same problem, there are people feeling there same like as we feel).

I can't believe it :(
Is there really no way to preserve Bookogs?

As with previous posts, I agree, there should be a way to preserve at least Bookogs. There's just too much information gathered here that just can't be put away.
I don't really care that much for Comicogs, it will be a loss, but I understand it, it has not even half the users Bookogs has, data and so.

Anyone from the staff care to comment on subcription/fundraising thing?

phasics wrote:

And again why they don't show warning. I see some people continue contributing.

Some users are aware of the decision but have chosen to continue to contribute. Some of them seem to believe that by contributing more they might be able to change the staff's mind.

But if the reasoning to close the sites is purely financial, then no amount of database contributions will save them.

Another rather non-realistic option - the community might build a team to design a new portal using old data dumps, and probably keep the new code open source on github. As I see the data itself is CC0 license. And again fundraising for infrastructure stuff.

I wish we could do something like this.

Comicogs was a mistake.

I worked in a record shop. DVD, Books, and gears overlap but not Comics.

They should have had the marketplace ready to run right from the start.

It was way too ambitious for them do all four in a single go.

They didn't do a good job promoting it with general discogs user a folks who would want to buy them.

If possible, I think it is a really good idea.

Hosting the images is thd biggest cost. do we get the images or just the text?

Another rather non-realistic option - the community might build a team to design a new portal using old data dumps, and probably keep the new code open source on github.

Would like this approach, but my database skills are too weak and my time is filled with a full-time job. I'm familiar with some html and css, though and using (n)vim with git for most computer stuff.

Personally I would spend money on this but I understood people who don't.

would also do but are a bunch of book-nerds enough to gather enough cash?

Comicogs was a mistake.
I worked in a record shop. DVD, Books, and gears overlap but not Comics.

Wise words. They should have dropped it or merged it with Bookogs at an early stage imo

are a bunch of book-nerds enough to gather enough cash?

It depends a lot on how much cash is needed... what we're able to do on our own and what do we need to pay for.

my database skills are too weak and my time is filled with a full-time job. I'm familiar with some html and css

I'm pretty much in the same situation, but I probably should not even admit that I once knew hmtl, css and javascript.

My thoughts on monetisation: firstly, advertising - revenues from programmatic advertising are at an all-time low and it's very unlikely we would be able to support a site like this from that source alone. Native advertising, based on selling slots to select partners pays well, but you have to have the traffic numbers and people willing to market the site and create the advertising content.

Given it sounds like a lot of us approached this as if we were creating a public good similar to Wikipedia, some form of sponsorship and/or donation funding is probably the way forward.

If the site was ever extended to a market-place, then we could consider a subscription or percentage model. But bear in mind there are already Amazon, Abebooks and eBay in the same space.

This is all speculation as we don't know how much it costs to host the site, it could be $200 per month easily on AWS, or a lot more or less.

Image hosting is pricy, as is diskspace and compute time for databases. Seemingly simple things, like making a fast search facility can cost more than most imagine.

To take on the

I feel even more depressed now, all these contribution shouldn't go to waste.

Does anyone from the staff care to add something? Is there even the littliest chance to postpone the closing of Bookogs?

I too am disappointed about this news, but now I have no faith in working on any project that is clearly driven by a desire to make a couple of $$$.

May I suggest that people consider moving their contributions over to the MetaBrainz book project https://bookbrainz.org/ ?

It's under development at the moment, but if it goes the way of their other projects it might actually just work!

OK, registered at bookbrainz, thanks, see you there https://bookbrainz.org/editor/1739

I warned editors a long time ago they were driven by money. A lot of folks were under the impression that they made enough money to give us an editor playground as a token of appreciation.

I am totally fine with them doing it for the money but have a proper system that would allow them to profit from it like discogs ready right from the start.

Record shop overlap with books, gear, Dvd, and posters that regard music icons.

Those used to discogs would have jumped to the opportunity of doing this on the same platform.

sound.and.vision wrote:

I too am disappointed about this news, but now I have no faith in working on any project that is clearly driven by a desire to make a couple of $$$.

May I suggest that people consider moving their contributions over to the MetaBrainz book project https://bookbrainz.org/ ?

It's under development at the moment, but if it goes the way of their other projects it might actually just work!

https://bookbrainz.org/editor/1718 is my profile tag, im up to the letter A! on my submissions, its a little tricky and doesn't have as much depth as Bookogs but it's workable

https://bookbrainz.org/editor/1748

I've started to add there, too.

Yes it's a bit tricky and you can't manage your collection, yet.
But the most important thing for me is, that you can add journals and works. So I will give it a try.

See you at bookbrainz

https://bookbrainz.org/editor/1763

Since there is no forum, maybe we should stat our own somewhere. I've seen that at least some of you have a diff. understand of how to add translations. On bookbrainz a translation is considered as an own work, linked to the oriiginal via the relationship button.

So I think there will be some stuff to discuss. Shall we open a forum thread on disogs or somewhere else?

indy133 wrote:

Since there is no forum, maybe we should stat our own somewhere. I've seen that at least some of you have a diff. understand of how to add translations. On bookbrainz a translation is considered as an own work, linked to the oriiginal via the relationship button.

So I think there will be some stuff to discuss. Shall we open a forum thread on disogs or somewhere else?

Indeed, I was adding it the bookogs style with one work independent from translation. I wonder why the help symbol over the name shows, that other languages should be added as aliases...

Btw. there is a BookBrainz-Forum:
https://community.metabrainz.org/c/bookbrainz/

Oh, thx....but there is no link on bookbrainz, or am I blind?

I found the sentence about the alias for titles. Makes no sence since the different titles are shown in the relationships.
I think that it's a better solution because you can add a translator for every work and you can even add works translated from diff. translators.

But there's a lot to do. Merge doesn't work, you can't add imprints as publishers etc. etc.

But I think the first thing is to revive the site, or better bring life to it for the first time, since their have been no serious submitters at all...

indy133 wrote:

Oh, thx....but there is no link on bookbrainz, or am I blind?

I found it via MusicBrainz.

But I think the first thing is to revive the site, or better bring life to it for the first time, since their have been no serious submitters at all...

Indeed, you are already number 5 on the Top Editors list :-).

What I like, is the connection to Wikidata, VIAF and others. It should make entries more clear.

yes, the last one might be raelly helpful, if releases have no ISBN number. Of course you have to have some luck, that you book is already numbered. I've tried it two times, found them but they were not added to the catalogue.

well, i added my first, from mobile, i think i really messed up https://bookbrainz.org/edition-group/d3054cf3-ef08-461c-8577-b4810e21ea7a

I've fixed it.You just forgot to create the author and link him ;-)
Best thing is. Start with the author. Since there are just a few. Just create a new one. Then create a work (if it's a translated one, create two: one for the original language and one for the translated.) You add the writer and the translator via the relationship button.

At last you add the book which contains the work(s).
It's not that bad, if you have done it a few times - you get accustomed to it really fast...

Glad to see more people heading over to the 'Brainz communities. They're really good guys, and they care about data not making $$$. I donate to them to try and make sure they can keep things trucking :D

Anyone have any experiences with Open Library?

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.