It's really sad to see the site closing. As metioned in the other thread, I don't see why handing it over to the community and keep it running is impossible and I think it is something we should think and ask the discogs-team about. We did a great job even in the past months without any staff active.

But at the moment, I guess it will be the end. I still have all my scans of the items and still I'm willing to find a place to track my collection of books and magazines (and movies). So I wonder where you'll go next or if you stop managing your collection.

Some years ago, I had listed my book-collection on lovelybooks. But there was no way to contribute directly. You need to get a certain status to be able to do. This was annoying. I have no experience with other sites so far.

My movies I tracked using ofdb in former times. It is a pretty good database for german users as it has almost every DVD or BluRay release. But again the way to contribute is annoying. I once added a DVD, but I was not taking the durations from the player but from the cover. The complete submission was rejected.

Adding to discogs, bookogs, and filmogs was always fun, because it is a step by step procedure and the whole community helps to complete the data.

What do you plan to do?

I'm working on a personal and local solution for this.

I seek for a way to
a) keep track of my collection thru the UNIX-command line (because i do most computer stuff this way and find it most pleasent)
b) link with BibTex data for citations in scientific work
c) get known with database stuff and implement the Bookogs JSON

My computer skills are limited, though.
If i ever have any success i will let people know :)

45worlds/45cat/45spaces is a user community based media collection website: https://www.45worlds.com

It's goes wider than the *ogs sites because you can catalog more types of items, but it's not nearly as deep.
It only records basic information for each type of item. And it does not have a marketplace.

I haven't been able to find any other sites like it or the *ogs sites, although there are some pretty good personal collection apps out there.

45worlds/45cat/45spaces is a user community based media collection website: https://www.45worlds.com

It's goes wider than the *ogs sites because you can catalog more types of items, but it's not nearly as deep.
It only records basic information for each type of item. And it does not have a marketplace.

I haven't been able to find any other sites like it or the *ogs sites, although there are some pretty good personal collection apps out there.

sharpmath wrote:

but it's not nearly as deep.

That is the main problem with basically all of the other sites, that or their scope is just too limited, they're focused only on specific genres or formats. :/

I've used LibraryThing for a very long time, and while it does allow me to catalog all my things (books/records/movies), it's not quite what I want.

GruenerTee wrote:

I'm working on a personal and local solution for this.

I'll probably go down that road as well, at least for the time being. Looks like I need to brush up some old skills and learn some new ones as well.

For books, I use Goodreads. The database is huge and it has millions of books, and contributing is easy enough too. It works well enough for what it is.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.